Building a big data team
Big data projects often involve exploring new business challenges and using new technology alongside existing applications. But who is doing this work? What skills and personalities are needed? Where should management of the big data "team" live, and is the team all in the same department or cross-functional? Do you need a chief data officer?
These are some of the questions we will address in this open-forum Twitter chat, “Building a Big Data Team” on Wednesday, April 2, 12:00 p.m. EDT - hashtag #BigDataMgmt.
Our special guests for the chat are Brent Dykes (@analyticshero), web & customer analytics expert and author of “Web Analytics Action Hero”; James Kobielus (@jameskobielus), IBM big data evangelist, speaker and writer; and Tom Deutsch, (@thomasdeutsch). Moderating the chat will be @IBMbigdata.
You can follow along—and join the discussion using the hashtag #BigDataMgmt. Here are the questions we’ll be discussing as well as reference articles to help inspire the conversation:
#BigDataMgmt chat questions
- Which should organizations select first for their big data project: the people or the technology? Why?
- What are some key roles to consider on a #bigdata team?
- Should the #bigdata team span multiple departments or be confined to one?
- What types of people do you NOT want on your #bigdata team?
- Who should lead the #bigdata team and why? #bigdatamgmt
- How important is it to have a chief data officer? #CDO #bigdatamgmt
- If a company isn’t adequately staffed, what are considerations when outsourcing #bigdata team functions? #bigdatamgmt
- What is your biggest piece of advice for organizations building a #bigdata team? #bigdatamgmt
- “Selecting Your First Big Data Project” - Blog by @thomasdeutsch
- "Big-data hardcore use cases? Prioritizing the potentials when so many present themselves" - Blog by @jameskobielus
- “How Big Should Your Digital Analytics Team Be?” - Blog by @analyticshero
- "Data Scientists: Grow and Sustain a Center of Excellence" - Blog by @jameskobielus
- “Beware These 2 Characters in Your IT Project” - Podcast w/ @thomasdeutsch & @TheSocialPitt
- "The tricky chemistry of a high-performance data-science team" - Blog by @jameskobielus
- "Big-data development? Don't understaff and overstretch your analytics development team" - Blog by @jameskobielus
- "Big data's optimal deployment model? Development and operations share common infrastructure" - Blog by @jameskobielus
What is #BigDataMgmt chat?
#BigDataMgmt chat is a weekly conversation every Wednesday at 12:00 p.m. ET, on Twitter. Each week we discuss a different topic around big data management.
How do you join in?
If you use a Twitter client like Tweetdeck or HootSuite, create a search column for the term ‘#BigDataMgmt’. Then as participants tweet with the #BigDataMgmt hashtag, those tweets will appear in your column. Or you can follow with Tweetchat – http://tweetchat.com/room/bigdatamgmt – and it automatically adds the #BigDataMgmt hashtag.
How do you participate?
Just jump right in! Review the discussion questions posted in advance so you can prepare your thoughts and answers. When the question is posed, begin your response with A1: for question 1 and A2: for question 2, etc. This makes it easier to follow the conversation throughout the chat. No answer is wrong! We look forward to seeing you at the #BigDataMgmt water cooler hosted by @IBMbigdata.