The CMO in the customer experience equation
Donovan Neale-May, executive director of the CMO Council, said: “There is no point in wasting marketing resources on seducing customers with offers, incentives and captivating branding if there is a big disconnect on the product, business policy or service experience side.” How do marketers minimize this disconnect? Should CMO’s drive customer experience initiatives? In a recent Deloitte survey “38 percent of CMOs said customer service was increasingly becoming part of their responsibility, but 23 percent feel underprepared to deal with this greater role.”
In our next #CXO Twitter chat Gail Nelson (@gail_nelson), former CMO Siegel+Gale and Shail Khiyara (@ShailKhiyara), former CMO and CCO Spigit join us to discuss “The CMO in the customer experience equation.” You can join easily using Tweetchat, where the hashtag #CXO is automatically appended to each tweet you send during the chat.
Below are the questions we’ll be discussing as well as reference articles to help inspire the April 7th discussion at 12 p.m. EST. Join us!
#CXO chat discussion questions
- To what extent should marketing influence the service interaction with customers?
- How do marketers move from mass marketing to one-to-one personalized customer conversations?
- How can marketing use real-time personalization techniques to increase customer loyalty?
- Should marketers use every channel? How do marketers evaluate and prioritize channels?
- How can marketers determine what customer data is relevant and create targeted campaigns based on data from across multiple channels?
- How can marketers use analytics to better understand customers and drive marketing initiatives?
- How do marketers effectively turn customer feedback and insight into action to improve the customer experience?
- How much ownership should CMOs take of the customer experience?
#CXO chat reference articles:
- CMOs Will Own the CEO Seat, Customer Experience
- Marketers must assume control of customer experience
- Big Data in Marketing: Creating New Opportunities for Collaboration
- Who owns the responsibility of customer experience?
- The Elixir for Growth: Customer Success Management Models
#CXO Chat Guests:
Gail Nelson has held positions at B2B companies ranging from start-ups to Fortune 500 firms in the technology, Internet, financial services, consulting and marketing services sectors. She brings extraordinary energy and business acumen to the development and implementation of strategic marketing plans that help drive revenue and boost brand awareness. By focusing on marketing effectiveness, she has helped grow EBITA for equity-backed, mid-stage technology and SaaS firms. Her efforts have driven consistent double-digit growth at professional services and marketing services firms that serve both top-tier and middle market B2B customers.
On top of being an experienced CMO, Gail is a two-time entrepreneur. She founded both a software and a consulting business. The latter grew to $1.8 million in revenue in the first year and was the top performing firm of it kind in the region for more than five years. She’s been on the list of top CMOs on Twitter for the past four years.
Shail Khiyara is a high-energy, results-oriented, multi-dexterous marketing executive with more than 15 years of experience in growing technology companies. His experience ranges from startups to multi-billion dollar global organizations with experiences in sales & marketing, running P&Ls, building high performance teams and growing Vitamin R (revenue) & profitability in organizations.
He has a proven history of accelerating revenue growth, penetrating new markets, and developing products people love. His track record includes developing successful, award-winning marketing programs and he is a respected mentor and coach, skilled in developing talent.
What is #CXO chat?
#CXO chat is a weekly conversation every Monday at 12 Noon EST/5 p.m. GMT, on Twitter. Each week we discuss a different customer experience optimization topic.
How do you join in?
If you use a Twitter client like Tweetdeck, HootSuite or Seesmic Desktop, create a search column for the term/hashtag "#CXO" and then, as we tweet with the #CXO hashtag, all tweets tagged with "#CXO" will show up in your column. You can also follow with Tweetchat and it automatically adds the #CXO hashtag.
How do you participate?
Just jump right in! Review the discussion questions posted to prepare your thoughts and answers. When the question is posed, begin your response with A1: for question 1, A2: for question 2, and so on. No answer is wrong! We look forward to seeing you at the #CXO water cooler hosted by @IBMBigData.
Follow the hashtag #CXO throughout the week for articles, facts and nuggets on customer experience optimization. You can also continue the discussion on LinkedIn in the Customer eXperience Optimization group on LinkedIn.